Friday, October 23, 2009

The Cookie Diet. Really?

In one more effort for fads to keep you fat, there's The Cookie Diet, whereupon you supposedly eat cookies (as a meal replacement no less) to curb your appetite so that you can keep on a low calorie diet.

And of course it costs money to purchase these magic cookies, which do nothing about teaching you to curb your negative eating habits... it merely lets you have your cookie and eat it too.

Nice marketing ploy, I have to admit. And had this been twenty, twenty five years ago when I was looking for a quick fix (cheat), I might have been prone to falling for it.

Anyone remember those appetite suppressant candies that were like little cubes of chocolate? They were real popular until the mid 80s when a disease of the same name became a notorious and feared killer.



Needless to say, been there, done that.

As I've watched my weight spiral out of control depending on these products marketed to help me "get thin" - while doing nothing more than switching my dependence - I've grown very resentful and very suspicious of the diet industry.

There's a reason why their profit margin has increased right along with our ever expanding waistlines.

I'm reminded once of going to a Mary Kay meeting and hearing one of the sales ladies say, "Every night more of my product goes down the drain, so I know that customer is going to keep coming back to buy more product."

The diet industry *needs* us to stay fat so we'll keep fattening *their* wallets. It's become such a joke that the first thing I want to know when it comes to people who want to "help me" lose weight is how much it costs.

If it's not free, it's too much. There are too many good sites like Sparkpeople.com or even Skinnychef.com who are willing to give away their secrets for free because they genuinely want to see people living their best, healthy lives.

All those diet books and supplements... not so much.

And it's all so blatantly obvious when someone tries to market a freaking COOKIE. Skip a meal, eat a cookie... lose weight! And by the way, we'd love for you to put a down payment on some ocean front property in Arizona!"

"But Ginger... some lady lost 120 pounds!"

Yeah. And I've lost three inches in less than a month just by getting rid of the sugar (and cookies) entirely. By eating more natural foods and cutting back on the meat, I've already seen a difference in how I look and how I feel; both mentally and physically.

And I didn't need to spend $59 buckaroos for a weekly box of magic cookies. Instead of having a "meal replacement"... I actually have a meal.

Best of all... I'm losing my self destructive need to cater to my indulgences. A donut commercial has zero affect on me now. It doesn't even look good, much to the shock of my 17 year old son.

This month of detoxing off of my dependence on sugar has been eye-opening. Like I've said before, I tried not to get substitutes for my sweet tooth... but replacements. I don't want chemically altered sugar free cookies to take the edge off, I want something that is naturally sweet so that I can lose my dependence on these "comfort foods" I've always used as a crutch.

So instead of getting the sugar free stuff (and even avoiding the sugar free candy I purchased on the onset) I've been learning how to go for fruit and sweet veggies and natural sweeteners instead.

This is something I can do forever, instead of paying out of my pocket to trade one addiction for another.

Has it been easy? No. Breaking an addiction never is. The PMS week was probably the hardest, and like I was mentioning in some previous blogs, I've had to actually deal with emotional issues with emotions rather than mask it with food.

Cravings pass. When it's over, I still feel a hundred percent better than I used to when my body was drowning in sugar sludge.

So cookies? Thanks, but I'll find a healthier (and cheaper) way to do it.

No comments: