Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Apparently my body went into shock

The moment I started to eat healthily I got a nasty bout of the flu.

I blame Hal's green drink. ;) Too much health too fast!

I am proud to say that despite a few low points these last few days where I wanted sugar to feel better, I did not get any. Even ice cream to soothe a sore throat. Sounds like a minor thing but I consider this a pretty significant victory.

Baby steps.

The good news is the fever is officially gone and I feel a lot better, so I can start making more of these changes effective immediately. Including a walk at either the park OR the treadmill.

I also must blow up the Pilates ball I purchased last Friday in my "take time to pamper myself" extravaganza... which, incidentally, also included a couple of bottles of lotion from Bath & Body Works.

And you know what? It actually did boost my mood.

I didn't rely on sugar. Even when I went out to eat. AND I ate a vegetarian meal, so even better. I did succumb to the bread basket, but like I said - baby steps.

Not having dessert (even when it was part of the meal deal) AND forsaking booze was huge.

I also purchased a book entitled "The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery System", and have perused through it to see if it's something that can work for me. The author maintains that we only eat three meals a day, which I'm not sure is going to work out. I've found the best way to curb my appetite is to space it out and eat on regular intervals. The longer I go in between meals the stronger my impulse to gorge, protein or no protein.

But the information is there if I decide to go that route.

I'm definitely implementing the idea of eating more protein. From what I've researched in the past, protein does help stabilize blood sugar. I think the best dietary course of action will be the Low GI plan, which simply means I give up those foods which cause a dramatic spike in blood sugar for things like lean proteins, whole grains and fresh fruits and vegetables.

I like the idea of dividing the plate into quarters, making one half of the plate fresh veggies and fruits, while one quarter is a low GI starch and the other quarter is a low fat protein.

We'll see how it works out in real life. Such things sound plausible in theory but sometimes life does get in the way.

I'm not going to make any rigid changes until I get the sugar addiction under control first.

This isn't about setting myself up for failure. This is about doing something every day to make me feel proud of how I'm honoring my body and taking care of my health, which - despite my guilt doing so - can also include staying home from work when I'm sick to prevent spreading the flu.

But enough of that for now, it's time to go make breakfast. Peanut butter on toast with some fresh fruit, washed down with a refreshing bottle of water.

Nummy!

No comments: